COOKING TIME: 1 hour 20 minutes
500g FONTANA Formiello Arborio Risotto Rice
1 x 180g jar of COPPOLA Pesto Siciliano (Sun-dried Tomatoes)
6 free range eggs
Parmesan cheese, grates
1 ball of mozzarella, cut into 16 cubes
250g dried breadcrumbs
COPPOLA Grapeseed Oil
• Put 1½ litres of water in a large pan, add sea salt and the rice and bring to the boil. Leave to simmer according to pack instructions and, when the rice is al dente, drain and leave to cool.
• In a large bowl, stir the cooled rice with the jar of pesto, 3 egg yolks and the grated Parmesan cheese, until combined.
• Using your hands, form the arancini mixture into 16 balls. Stuff each one with a mozzarella cube then re-form the rice around it into a ball.
• Beat the 3 remaining eggs with a little sea salt. Place the flour, beaten eggs and breadcrumbs onto separate plates. Pour enough grapeseed oil into a heavy-based pan to deep-fry the arancini. Place over a high heat for about 1 minute, until the oil reaches a temperature of 190°C, or when a bit of bread sizzles and turns golden immediately.
• Dip each arancini ball into the flour, shake off any excess, then dip them into the eggs and finally the breadcrumbs. Carefully drop the balls, in batches, into the oil and cook until golden and crispy (not more than 8 minutes).
• Using a slotted spoon, remove the arancini and drain on kitchen paper. Repeat for all and serve at once.
• For a Maltese version of arancini, substitute the Arborio rice with couscous.