COOKING TIME: 30 minutes
450g FONTANA Formiello Penne
1/2 medium white onion, chopped
3 large cloves garlic, halved and cleaned from the skins
1 x 400g tin of COPPOLA Pelati (Peeled Plum Tomatoes)
250g COPPOLA Pesto Genovese (Basil)
2 tablespoons COPPOLA Extra Virgin Olive Oil
10-12 fresh basil leaves, chopped
250g ricotta cheese
150g Parmesan cheese, grates
250g fresh mozzarella
Sea salt, to season
Black pepper, to season
• Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add penne and cook the pasta to al dente, according to on-pack instructions.
• Preheat a medium saucepan on a medium heat and pour in about 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, to coat the bottom of the pan.
• Place the garlic on a cutting board and place the flat of a knife on the top. Press the knife with the palm of the hand to separate the garlic cloves from the skins. Chop garlic and add to pan.
• Take the onion and halve it. Finely chop one half, add to the garlic and oil and cook for 5 minutes or until the onions are soft and golden. Add the peeled plum tomatoes and stir. Once the tomatoes start to bubble, lower the heat under the sauce and stir in the basil. Season with salt and pepper.
• Preheat the oven to a high temperature. Meanwhile, drain the pasta and transfer it to a cooking pot. Add pesto sauce, ricotta cheese and grated Parmesan, tossing carefully until well mixed.
• Pour the tomato sauce over the pasta. Tear mozzarella cheese into pieces and arrange on the pasta, adding a sprinkle of grated Parmesan. Place the casserole in the middle of the oven until the cheese has melted (about 5 minutes).