COOKING TIME: 4-5 hours
5 x 400g tins of COPPOLA Pelati (Peeled Plum Tomatoes)
600g of FONTANA Formiello Fusilli Casarecci Gragnano PGI
750g lamb on bones or mince meat
750g beef on bones or mince meat
2 glasses of red wine
2 red onions, peeled
2 sticks of celery, peeled
3 carrots, peeled
2 cloves garlic, peeled
COPPOLA Extra virgin Olive Oil
3 sprigs of fresh rosemary
1 fresh bay leaf
Sea salt, to season
Black pepper, to season
• Take a casserole or a large saucepan with a thick bottom: you will get a better result with a sauce that way.
• Finely chop carrots, celery, onions and garlic. If you are using minced meat you can mix half of the chopped vegetables with the meat.
Place the saucepan on a medium heat and add 4 tablespoons Extra virgin olive oil. Add vegetables and sauté. When the onion becomes golden, stir and lower the heat. Add either meat on bones or minced meat, followed by wine. Add peeled plum tomatoes. Add bay leaf and rosemary (you will need to remove both, when half cooked). Season with sea salt and black pepper to taste. Cover with a lid and let it cook for 4-5 hours on a very low heat, stirring occasionally.
• Bring a saucepan of salted water to the boil and cook the pasta according to pack instructions until al dente. Add less salt than you normally would, as pasta will absorb seasoning of the ragù.
• Drain the pasta and transfer back to the saucepan with the sauce, gently tossing to coat.
• To serve, sprinkle with Parmesan or Pecorino cheese.